Monday, April 7, 2014

Log 005



Dear Internet,

                When I last I left off, I was going to talk about voice acting.  It is safe to say that my project will have none of that fluff.  As a one person team, I would have to do every single voice.  While this would no doubt be quite humorous, it would alter the mood of most scenes.  Let me say that I am not an individual of a hundred voices.  I barely have a single voice, and it would make things quite strange if that same voice acted out a number of parts, many of which would require a pitch that I just cannot throw.  Maybe for a short comedy visual novel I would, but not for this.

                I do not mind voice acting in visual novels.  The only problem is that the only time I have heard it done well is with the Japanese voices.  That itself is a problem because I am mostly unable to tell if it is even being done right in Japanese.  They may be doing a horrible job at it, but I cannot tell.  Either way, I usually just let the voice acting play out as long as it keeps up with my reading speed.  If the reading of the lines get too long and the text is just sitting there, I will go ahead and keep reading without waiting for the voice to catch up.  But this is only when I have the Japanese voices on.  I treat it as background sounds at best.  

                English voice acting for visual novels falls into two categories.  Either a voice acting veteran or a horrible amateur is doing it.  In the case of the veteran, you will end up thinking about all the other characters that the actor has played, making your mind wander away from the scene and words.  In the case of the amateur, you will get a refreshing and new voice at the cost of, well, a high chance of wanting to mute the whole thing altogether.  If you cannot mute the voices specifically but want to listen to the music, you will end up reading the text as quick as it can display, jamming the advance button, and forcing the speech clips to shorten into lengths of two words apiece.  It creates a mildly amusing sound as everyone sounds like they are gargling marbles.

                Then there is the worst case scenario.  That is when the voices do not even match up to the text.  "Lux-Pain" is the greatest example of a visual novel kind of game where the localization went absolutely down two dead end streets.  From what I could gather messing around forum boards, the translation had been split up between two to three teams.  This meant that location names not only were different in one half of the game as compared to the other half, but the voice acting did not even match up to what was being displayed.  I think there was even a section where the player had to answer questions, recalling information that had been relayed to them.  Those questions asked about some of these mixed up translation errors, which left the player not even knowing whether the info they were told was accurate.  

                There is one thing that I want to mention concerning voice acting in a visual novel format.  Line length when using spoken dialog needs to be properly balanced out to ensure proper pacing.  This falls back into the pacing issue when using just text that I mentioned in an earlier Log.  If the spoken text is excessively long to the point that it slows down a fact paced scene, it needs to be reworked.  If the spoken text hurries onward when the scene needs to be stretched out, it needs to be reworked.  The best instance I can think of when this gets done poorly is when a character has to scream or cry.  What happens is that the voice actor has to make a long cry or yell when the text that is being displayed is vastly shorter and gets displayed quickly.  The reader ends up sitting there with a fully displayed text bubble and has to wait for the exceptionally long moan has to be delivered.  The scene's flow has to instantly stop while the voice actor finishes a single line.  There has to be a middle ground where the scene continues its flow without compromising the two elements, text and sound.

                Thankfully, having none of this in my project means that I do not have to worry about it.

Yours in digital,
BeepBoop

Current Assets
Writing: ~650 lines
Coding: ~35 lines
Art: 0%
Audio: 0%

No comments:

Post a Comment