Monday, April 14, 2014

Log 006



Dear Internet,

                You probably cannot tell how much I am scraping the bottom of the barrel that is my mind right now.  I do not have much else to talk about in the general sense of visual novels.  That being said, I will still find some way of writing some 500 words here.  I am not sure how, but it seems that whenever I say that I have little to say, I end up writing too much.  It is a weird quirk of mine.  Or maybe it is just that I lack a certain skill in my writing ability.  Oh look, 100 words.

                One thing that I seem to have done while attempting to convert a simple short story of seven pages into a kinetic novel is explode a small plot into a full on multiple sub-plot intertwining novella.  Ignoring formatting issues, which of course make everything disproportionate, the currently far from finished script is now at 32 pages.  I say disproportionate because measuring a short story against a script is like comparing a dollar store to a big box outlet.  One is going to have a ton more returns than the other.  Counting words, which is by far a more accurate method, I have made 2,770 words grow into 7,517, give or take a handful.  That is an increase of approximately 170%.  I make this comparison because at the point that I am now in converting the script, I have caught up with what I have previously penned.  Everything from here on out is added story that I have not yet developed.

                This is a bit exciting and at the same time horribly terrifying.  It is like being handed only half a book to be read to a group of children.  Eventually you are going to run out of pages.  The children in turn will expect the story to continue and come to an end fitting the story.  You must then try and connect all the loose ends while continuing the central plot.  There is the danger of leaving a loose end that will be evident to everyone except yourself and will be called out on it.  There is the danger of making the rest of the story inadequate to balance out the complexity of the first.  And there is the temptation of making it all anti-climactic to the point of cheating the audience.  It can make you understand Scheherazade's dilemma, just with less chances of jugular drafts.

                These are the faces of the danger that I am staring into right now.  Thankfully, or rather foolishly depending on who you ask, I know how to face such danger.  The trick is to just add more content and work on it.  It is not an easy answer.  Sure, I could end the story abruptly or just leave plot holes bare, saying I want to "leave it open for interpretation," but that sounds too much like a cop out.  I would rather just try and do a better job of it.  There is 500.

Yours in digital,
BeepBoop

Current Assets
Writing: ~750 lines
Coding: ~35 lines
Art: 0%
Audio: 0%

No comments:

Post a Comment