Thursday, April 4, 2013

Entry 024: "Fable III" Pt. 5 End



Dear Internet,

                There, I am done with it.  I pulled an extra hour again to be rid of this game.  I was able to amass a fortune of over 6.5 million to go towards saving the ungrateful NPCs.  I got fluffy white angel wings.  The Darkness came and went.  Even now the credits are rolling as I type this up.  No wait, I can skip them.  I am not sitting through about twenty minutes of slow moving text that does not even try to be entertaining.  Considering that the controller turns off after 15 minutes, you would think someone might realize that any movie in a game that lasts longer than that might be a problem, but I digress.  If by now you still do not understand what I think of "Fable III," go back and read the last four entries.  Today, absolutely nothing that occurred changed my opinion of this game.  The few to little quests that the game throws at the player come the endgame make waiting for the rent payments unbearable.  There are only about three of them that can be done and they are very short.  The ending of the game tries to be bitter sweet with one important character dying amongst the number of unnamed soldiers and civilians that lie dead upon the street, but the game never really got me to care much about the few characters that it pushed forward.  So, let me just cover a few bits here and there that I have not covered before.

                Reaver is a good-for-nothing, public murdering, self glorifying, take-all-the-credit cretin that the game utilizes as the only bad individual once the protagonist has become king.  HIs mere presence in the game in the second half of the game creates a giant plot hole.  Why is he still alive?  Or should I say, why is he not in jail?  The man shoot a worker in broad daylight in from of a group of people, and then threatened to do the same to others.  Later on, he trapped the protagonist and Page in a death match against a variety of otherworldly creatures.  Who knows what else he has done?  The former king had to undergo a trial of some sort.  Why did Reaver not have to?  Could the developers not think of any other way to portray the binary decisions that the player had to make than to have Reaver advocate all but one or two "evil" choices?  They could have had many smaller villain characters throughout the story reappear instead of having just one guy act as the only bad guy in the game.  I say "only bad guy" because the game already tried to say the old king had good reason for being a tyrant.  Reaver's homicidal tendencies are completely glossed over come the second half of the game by making more of a token character driven by money.  On top of that, he narrates every decision that the king makes saying it was his company doing all the work.  How is there only one company in this game?  Apparently, Reaver has a monopoly on every industry possible, well, except land.  The king now owns all the land.

Subtle, right?
                The constant use of gamertag is a giant immersion breaker that readily makes itself unwelcome at every chance it can get.  A gamertag, or online handle, is something that should stay as far away from single player experiences as possible.  I can understand using it for online connections so that people can identify who is who especially for co-op mode, but why is it there when I am playing alone?  They even bring forth the Xbox Avatar for when you sign the promises.  Am I supposed to be playing as a cookie cut protagonist where my only choice in their appearance was which gender they were, or am I supposed to be playing as myself?  The game allows you to customize your character to a degree, and by degree I mean about 10 degrees on a circle.  There are more ways to color your hair than types of faces.  It is no Bethesda face builder.  
 
"I, King xXxHaXoR1337xXx, so declare..."
                The game allows you to get married and have kids or adopt.  This is not new to the series.  What does seem to be new, from what I recall so I might be wrong, is that your spouse can cheat on you.  Now the game never comes out and states this.  It probably is another instance where the developers were lazy.  My second child was very dark skinned.  Now this is not a problem unless you realize that my character and wife are both Caucasian.  Also after having off-screen whoopee , I seemed to contract an STD.  I did not even know about this until one of the loading screens informed me hours later.  The only person that my character was with was the wife.  While I was out trying to save the land from "the Darkness" my wife was sneaking around behind my back it seems.  I blame the programmers.
The programmers were trying to say my money was overflowing.  It was overflowing through the walls.

                "Fable III" is a bad game.  What kept it from being horrible?  Not much, really.  It is playable, but so is Kick the Can.  The soundtrack works, but you will be muting it while you make enough pies to feed a nation.  The premise had something go for it, but it fell through in the second half.  It would be hard for me to say that it did not make me care, since I spent nearly a week on it.  But most of that week was money management just so that I would never have to pick up the game again.  An evil run through would take less than a third to go through because you would not be trying to save anyone or even take responsibility.  It is the good run that takes time and effort.  There are a few cheap laughs here and there.  The satire is spot on and would be quite a deal more funny if it was not inadvertently making fun of itself in the process.  It is like a really foolish girl who makes dumb blonde jokes but does not realize she is blonde, too.  What you can take away from this game is that being good if hard while being evil is easy.  In "Fable III," the point of being good is supposed to be some rewarding feeling you get for saving everyone.  The point of being evil is the rewarding feeling that you get because you no longer have to play "Fable III."
Do I at least get a huge gun?

Yours in digital,
BeepBoop

P.S. Tomorrow is "Godzilla vs The Sea Monster" (1966).

No comments:

Post a Comment