Friday, May 24, 2013

Entry 048: "Brutal Legend" Pt.1



..well not really.


Dear Internet,

                "Brutal Legend" is pretty brutal, or in the very least it is when trying to connect it to a video capture card due to PS3 issues.  I was able to play some of it on the stream earlier, but after being forced to reboot my computer, it will now no longer even go through to my computer so I can take screenshots for illustrative use.  I believe this is only a problem when it comes to PS3 games due to some protection issues, but if Sony believes that people should not even route their visuals through a computer no matter what, what can I do but comply?  I can do either that or find some sort of Chinese backwards engineered device that strips the signal apart.  Who knows?  In the mean time, both you and I will have to make use of the few screenshots I made in the first session and just utilize our imagination for the rest of the time.

                "Brutal Legend" of Tim Shafer fame, follows the roadie Eddie Riggs, voiced by Jack Black, as he is thrown into a metal rock inspired world after he is crushed by a giant stage prop at a concert.  Mountains of horned skulls adorn the landscape while giant guitars are plunged neck deep in the plains between.  The world that Double Fine made is rich in the art and style that adorns rock covers of a foregone era.  I dare not even try to attempt to categorize the various levels of musical genre and sub-cultures that this game includes.  Trying to distinguish and separate from such genres as Classical Heavy Metal and Folk Metal is better left to someone who has spent years listening to such songs and can detect the subtle nuance.  Billy Joel summed it up enough for me saying "It's still rock and roll to me."

Our lovable yet eccentric protagonist.
                The songs that the game does select are not all obscure ones selected to create a pure underground atmosphere.  There are a few that even I recognize.  I think one or two are shared with the old "Tony Hawk Pro Skater" games, but I cannot be sure about that.  There are similarities between the two games track listings and how they handle the music.  Both create a unique vibe by creating a playlist of licensed music that is perfectly enjoyable by itself.  I had heard that the soundtrack was well selected and created, and I was worried that I might not enjoy Brutal Legend and would be making a quip like "The game's soundtrack lasts longer than the enjoyment from playing the game," but thankfully that is not the case.  A side bit about the audio: I noticed sometimes that the character lines would completely fail to play during some cinematics.  If I was not playing with the subtitles on, I would have missed a few crucial lines of dialog. 

                The gameplay, so far, is somewhat enjoyable, if not a bit clunky and cumbersome.  When the game got released it was sadly toted as being an action/adventure game.  While it does have many elements of these two genres, the game is much more heavily a tactical strategy game.  The player controls Eddie directly with am over the shoulder view.  He can either use a battle ax or an electric guitar that functions as short range and long range weaponry, respectively.  Add dodging and blocking to the mix, it can be understandable that the game would sound like an action/adventure game.  After a little while, Eddie frees a group of head banging men, with more than a dose of comedy, and the real game begins.  The player has to give orders to the other characters like telling them to go somewhere and fight a specific enemy or stay and guard an area.  Eventually, the members of Eddie's army begin to grow well beyond a handful.  It is there that the game really begins.  Soon the player is controlling 40 or more teammates while fighting off hoards of enemies that are attempting to break down the rock band stage that you are protecting.  Basically, the game is a tower defense game in a 3D environment.

When the game does place something in the middle of this world, it is done with plenty of style.


                Coming back to the blood-soaked demonic environment for a moment, it is huge.  The world is ridiculously large and requires a vehicle to navigate it constantly, which the game thankfully gives you very early.  Even when the game shifts from exploration to tower defense mode, the "area" is huge to the point where trying to walk from your base to the enemy's would take much too long to warrant.  The game works a clever workaround to this predicament.  Once the battlefields get to the point where one end cannot be seen from the other, Eddie is "cursed" with large bat wings that allow him to fly around at speeds that make the hot rod from hell look slow in comparison.  Sadly, the wings only work in tower defense segments, and the game has yet to say exactly why only then they are active.  There is an explanation as to where they come from, but that is it.  Perhaps the game will say more as I continue.

                The tower defense matches are rather easy I must say.  I am going through the game in "Normal" difficulty, so perhaps I should be playing on hard.  What generally happens is that I can create enough troops to the point where I defeat all the current enemy troops on the field.  Then I spend a minute or two looking for the one or two obscure enemies on the playfield trying to figure out what I am supposed to do to continue the match.  Sometimes it seems the game is waiting for a specific time before launching the next wave instead of identifying whether or not I have wiped out all previous forces.  This creates lulls in gameplay.  Sometimes it is to the point where I lose concentration and miss when the enemy troop does arrive because I am just waiting for it.  It does not help that the game does not explicitly give you win objectives for each match.  Sometimes it is to simply survive, while other times it is to destroy the enemy's base.  I found myself constantly wondering what I am supposed to be aiming for since the game thinks it is giving enough clues.  And while it is true that if you fumble long enough you can figure it out, it makes the matches take longer because you spend extra time figuring out what you are supposed to be doing specifically.  

                This lack of a clear goal sort of rolls into one of the bigger problems of the game.  There is almost no heads-up display.  This brings back one problem that I found in "Fable III."  I do not want to go back to those entries and read them again because it was such a bad game the first time around, so I am not sure if I made this point before.  Both "Fable III" and "Brutal Legend" make use of no health bar to indicate to the player how close they are to dying.   What both games decide to do is take out all the color saturation on the screen and add a growing red boarder on the edges of the screen.  This is a horrible concept because the player has no concrete idea as to how close they are to being dead.  When they are playing, they are asking themselves, "Can the screen get redder?"  The only way they can know if they are in real trouble is by allowing themselves to die to know at what point they should be concerned when the effects trigger.  Looking at a screen going red is subjective to the interpretations of the player and silly since the health points of the characters are objective and number based.  You can argue about how red a color can be, but you cannot argue about how two out of a hundred is close to nothing.

                I will stop for now, Internet.  There are a few other things that I will cover in subsequent entries that I do not want to talk about until I am deeper in the game.  Until then, keep headbanging.

Yours in digital,
BeepBoop

No comments:

Post a Comment