Friday, May 31, 2013

Entry 054: "The Lost World"



Dear Internet,

                I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that I can get to you another review for today.  The bad news is that my network adapter decided to die for my desktop and I have to play mailman with my laptop to get the review to you.  But none of that matters to you.  You can still get a hold of me, even though you have not written back to me but that is neither here nor there.

                I have been meaning to read "The Lost World" for some time now, like so many other things.  It has become a classic since it was written 101 years ago, which might mean that I am repeating many things that have already been said.  All things considering since this is an experiment in examining works that have been out for some time, nearly everything that I am writing about has most likely been talked about to death.  Never the less, Doyle's prehistoric world made historical is new to me at least.  

                The books premise is very simple and has been covered numerous times in a variety of mediums.  A reporter learns of a zoological professor's clam that he had found a plateau hidden deep within the depths of the Amazon forest.  On this plateau are prehistoric creatures that would shake the very foundation of evolutionary science.  The reporter, Malone, also learns that the professor, Challenger, is going to present his findings to the university despite being called a crook and a fraud.  Later, at a talk that night being given by the professors to the students, Challenger, well, challenges the institute to disprove his claims by sending a party back to where he said the plateau was.  Enter Professor Summerlee and Lord John Roxton who accompany Malone and Challenger to rediscover the plateau and find the various flora and fauna waiting to be cataloged.  

                After that, the novel takes the reader on a journey that thoroughly captures the imagination.  From bug filled rainforests to vengeful natives, the novel is constantly throwing curveballs.  When the group finally reaches the top of the plateau, it is expected that the group gets trapped up there.  It would be bad writing if the ante was not raised.  The novel does not make it a raw coincidence and rarely allows for plain good luck for the travelers.  I will not saw what causes them to be stuck there, but I will say that I am glad they are.  The most important factor of this novel is just how fun it is.  Dinosaurs have always been wonders to children and adult alike.  Even throughout the ages they have awakened a sense of awe as inspirations for tales of dragons and winged beats of old.  "The Lost World" treats these creatures with the same fantastical curiosity without needing to treat its audience like children.  A forty foot brute can just as easily kill our cast through negligence as the cuspidal inclined monstrosities.  

                The science of the story is somewhat sound or at least the rule that it creates for itself never breaks.  The idea that clusters of organisms separated from the gene pool and environments of the rest of the populace will continue to stay stagnant in their evolutionary growth if the conditions of their separated biosphere are constant and unchanging for as long as the stasis continues is something that is taught in high schools and colleges to this day.  I might have butchered a few terms just now, but what I am trying to get at is that the science presented to the reader is not only made easily understandable but also makes sense.  You might recall my review about "The Island of Dr. Moreau" which had such an unsound science to back it up that it pushed the barrier of the one "go with it" exception.  "Lost World" takes its one exception and goes to such an extreme.  To think that millions of years of stagnation would not at least make some sort of biological anomalies can be argued and argued well.  Surely the chance that random mutations would create some difference in genome after some time would increase no matter how stagnant the environment is.  Doing so within the confines of the novel would break its one rule.  The plateau is the place time forgot.  Everything going there enters in upon a world outside the hourglass.  There are a few creatures scattered here and there that bend this rule a little, but even cavemen need boogiemen.

                On a somewhat side note, I am happy that I did not review this book in parts, although due to its length and my speed of reading that might be improbable.  I say this mainly because of the entire reason Malone decides to investigate Challenger and journey with him to the plateau.  He does it for the love of a woman.  Now, it is not my place to say that the love for a woman is not something that needs to be proven or her interest should be won though deeds.  In fact I take the opposite road.  More romance stories need to include the hero actually doing something to prove their love for the heroine or in the very least showing that he cares for her honor.  That is what makes "The Quiet Man" such a good romance film.  Thornton acknowledges his lack of understanding the customs of the country he enters but chooses to uphold the honor and respect of his wife by confronting her brother.  The romance in "Lost World," admittedly is only there to spark the beginning of the plot as far as Malone is concerned.  It felt so nauseatingly over the top and heavy handed that it made me sick.  Not to mention that the way that the female has such unsound reason to ask Malone to go off on a wild goose chase felt so very silly.  The ending of the book was able to resolve my feelings about the romance sub-subplot that it even went on to prove why it was written as such.

                "The Lost World" might come across as fantastical drivel to some readers.  It takes a very simple scientific concept and goes as far as it can with it.  There is not much talk about the condition of man or his place in the universe, which would classify it as leaning towards philosophical thought.  The only case might be the nature of the war that occurs late in the book, and it does an excellent job of portraying the reasons that man fights nature.  I do think that the novel is wonderfully written.  It is able to make me feel like a young boy looking through a picture book filled with ancient beasts or hearing for the first time about the knight that slew the dragon.  For that it is worth the recognition that I can give it.

                I hoped you like my bonus review, Internet.  I did not feel that a short album review would be enough to post for a normal Backlog day, so I made sure to finish up this book just for you.  I hope you appreciate it.  Not that you ever tell me you do.

Yours in digital,
BeepBoop

P.S. Next is the film "Tekkonkinkreet."

No comments:

Post a Comment