Monday, May 27, 2013

Entry 049: "Brutal Legend" Pt.2 End



Dear Internet,

                "Brutal Legend" is over as far as I am concerned.  I have completed the main story and the game was unable to make me want to play it any longer than that.  There is still multiplayer mode that I have not played, which allows players to play one another in the tower defense mode.  On top of that there are sidequests that reward the player with points for upgrades, statues to raise, tablets to find which unlock music, and various other things that are hidden away.  None of these are essential or needed.  I was able to get through the whole story without any upgrades except for a few that I purchased for the ax and guitar.  There are six guitar solo moves hidden throughout the land that are special moves that aid in battle.  I found and needed one.  I played about for side quests out of the 30 or so and saw that they were mostly repeats with only location or enemy changes, so I chose not to do them.  

                There is a lot to do in "Brutal Legend," I will admit, but none of them are needed to get through the main quest.  Worse than that, the game was unable to make me want to play though them.  This is coming from a guy that is trying to get 100% in "Lego City: Undercover," a game with well over 300 collectable unlockables.   To a certain extent this might be due to the fact that I am playing "Lego City" for my own enjoyment with no entry being required for it while "Brutal Legend" is preventing me from continuing through the backlog.  However there is a glaring problem.  The various things that "Brutal Legend" has ready for the player to collect are not needed one bit.  Maybe playing on the highest difficulty would make the player search out these various goodies to help aid them, but even on mid-difficulty I breezed through the majority of the game.  The only time I had to repeat the same battle over and over again was with the second to last fight, and that was more because the game decided to throw a new enemy type into my arsenal and one in the enemy's and asked me to quickly understand the mechanic of the new type mid-battle.  The game forgot a simple lesson in game design: you do not teach in the middle of a test.  The other times when I failed a mission was when I got thrown into a new situation with little to no explanation, but I got over those much quicker once I got the mechanic down, so that is more par for the course.

                Last I wrote to you, I spoke very highly of the various elements that the game while touching upon a few less than stellar points.  I said there were some things that I wanted to wait to say, and now I can say the.  For one thing, that open world that is supposed to be filled with various things to collect feels really empty.  To a certain extent it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.  The world is huge, but rather pointlessly so.  Since the player has access to a car at any one time, traversing it can be quick, albeit annoying since there is no minimap and navigating to a waypoint by means of turn signals feels a bit broken.  There is no point in walking anywhere since you cannot jump which can leave you stuck in a hole until you summon your car three seconds later.  The only way I can detail as to why the world feels pointlessly big is comparing it to "Lego City."  In "Lego City" not only is there a huge world, but there is a sense of exploration.  There are hidden nooks and crannies everywhere that are waiting to reward the player when they find them.  The game encourages the player to get out of the vehicle to find the items scattered everywhere.  "Brutal Legend" does the complete opposite.  It highlights all the sidequests and has little to no walking exploration.  Having enemies scattered everywhere makes speed bumps that push the player away from getting out of their car to look around.  There is no stress in finding the various collectables.  At least in "Lego City" it admits that collectables are completely cosmetic, but creates a sense of excitement in the player by making the player wonder what exactly they are going to receive.

                Tim Shafer games are herald as the epitome of wit and comedy.  I played "Psychonauts," which was the game that Shafer and his studio designed right before this game.  It was funny, but never in a way that made me laugh out loud consistently.  It made me smirk constantly more than laugh uncontrollably.  That more likely has something to do with the fact that a video game can make the same joke as a movie, but requires the player to regain their concentration quicker than a movie lest the player lose the game.  The player needs to make the joke less funny or they risk having to repeat the level by losing their concentration.  I digress because "Brutal Legend" has to follow this--somewhat overblown in my opinion--legacy of Shafer being the epitome of comedy.  There is some really witty writing at the beginning of the game.  The whole segment of Eddie rescuing the headbangers from a mine got me laughing.  After about the three hour mark, there was next to nothing for the remaining of the game.  A few jokes were scattered here and there, but they definitely dropped in both quality and frequency.  The game turns dramatic and serious very quickly despite it being rather ludicrous and filled with holes.  By the end, there are a few switcheroos pulled that could not make me care at all.  They are pushed in there at the last minute to try and add some sort of backstory, yet the story as a whole lacks telling the player about those key aspects before shaking them up, so none of it really matters.  You cannot pull the rug from under a person if they were not standing there in the first place.  Apparently, there are a few ways to learn about the world from either talking to the various characters or finding those collectables I mentioned.  If the game expected me to pick up on excess information scattered outside of the main story when it was actually central information, then the game pulled a silly trick.  You do not put central information anywhere but at the center of the game.  I am still trying to figure out how Eddie knew what the Black Tears was or when it was explicitly told to the player what they were.  

                Another thing about that giant open world that I am not going to slice into the above paragraph since I am getting lazy, the car handles terribly.  I was constantly sliding around like a sugar-hyped four year old in a bouncy castle.  It reminded me sometimes of the rover in "Mass Effect."  At least that game had an excuse as to why the vehicle behaved like it was rolling around on the moon.  In "Brutal Legend," the vehicle has next to no weight to it except when it goes crashing into an enemy.  I found myself crashing into walls constantly and being forced to slowly slog away because the crash would cause the vehicle to point at an awkward angle half way up a rock.  The driving was never satisfying or all that fun.  It was just a means to get to the next mission, and something to be put up with.  There were sidequest that were races, but I completely avoided them because of how I did not like driving that car.

                Overall, "Brutal Legend" finishes as being mediocre and uninspiring.  The novelty of having a game's artistic aesthetic based around different types of rock is unique, but it quickly grows old when the game plays all its cards so quickly.  The whole premise of a real time strategy game where the player takes on the role of one of the soldiers never quite works.  The biggest problem I had with the game was not the controls as others have said, but the fact that the viewpoint from Eddie constantly restricted my perception of the playing field, hindering my understanding of how I should go about each match.  The game's biggest draw might be the huge soundtrack, but since a number of them are not available until the player finds them or progresses in the story, it limits what the player can listen to awkwardly.  Unlike the Tony Hawk games that I mentioned earlier which handled a soundtrack management perfectly by letting the player choose exactly which songs would cycle throughout, "Brutal Legend" often teases the player by never finishing a favorite song.  I have yet to hear "Through the Fire and Flames" completely because it only plays when I drive the car, and I get anywhere I need to go in under two minutes.  "Brutal Legend" is not legendary in the scope of the story, which comes across like a teenage angst drama, or gameplay, which is not all that brutal either.  

Yours in digital,
BeepBoop

P.S. Tomorrow is "The Island of Dr. Moreau" by H. G. Wells.

No comments:

Post a Comment