Friday, July 19, 2013

Entry 091: "The Muppet Show" Ep. 109-120 End


'Why do we always come here
I guess we'll never know
It's like a kind of torture
To have to watch this show"



Dear Internet,

                There, I'm done with "The Muppet Show."  After today, I will not have to watch one more episode of this show because I have watched them all, all 120 episodes in the length of five seasons.  Although with my luck, there will be some sort of lost episode that is found in the Muppet archives and I will have to watch it, but that will not be this day.  In the mean time, I get a free card for being able to repeat everything I have already said, for what else is a conclusion other than a restatement of everything already talked about.  

                "The Muppet Show" is not something that can be watched in large quantities or be viewed in a marathon.  Each episode is very entertaining and quite humorous.  However, when they are placed side by side, certain aspects of the show become too repetitious ands end up detracting from the show.  That is not to say that the jokes repeat or there is a lot of the same material coming back throughout the show.  There were very few times that the jokes themselves were said twice.  On top of that, the non-comedy material very rarely was done twice.  Even the episode that played out like an award show did reprisals better than most.  This was the Phyllis George episode I am talking about.  In that episode, the show covers a number of songs that the show had performed before.  Instead of doing what most shows now would do and make a flashback episode, a clip show, or show stock footage, "The Muppet Show" is clever by shooting all new footage for the episode.  Even though the songs are the same, the show does them in a slightly different manner to prevent true repetition.  There are pictures of all the guest stars that had been on the show previously, but the show makes a comical song listing all of their names so it is more like a visual reference rather than a cop out.

                The repetition that I am talking about is the kind where a little changes but never a lot.  It is the déjà vu kind of repetition where you feel like you have heard it before but know for sure that you have not.  If you put all the Pigs in Space skits together and watched them back to back, it would become tiring to watch.   The same can be said for all the repeating skits but also the show as a whole.  The comedy is very similar between episodes to the point that can overstay its welcome.  There are only so many times that a person can laugh at a puppet being eaten or exploding.  It takes a long while but eventually one reaches that dead end.

                I could not recommend someone watching the whole show.  That would be cruel even though I made it out alright, despite having a few spasmodic twitches now.  No, the whole show is something that should not be watched unless one spaces it out ever an even longer period of time.  I do recommend watching the show, just in a different manner.  What I would do when recommending the show to someone is to find the episodes they would like to see.  "The Muppet Show" has a very long list of guest stars that range from a wide area of entertainment backgrounds.  There were opera singers, ballet dancers, musicians, singers, dancers, actors, and a few others.  If someone is thinking about watching this show, they would do best to first select out the episodes that feature the entertainers that they know.  When I was going through the series, whenever there was a guest star that I knew I would pay much more attention to the show because I was already familiar with that person's work and wanted to see how the Muppets would use that person's ability to add to the show.  That is the main reason for guest stars in the first place.  They are brought on to attract the associated viewers to watch the show.  That is not to say that the episodes that features guests that I did not know were not entertaining.  No, I found many of the guests that I was unfamiliar with to be very entertaining.  It is just that knowing the guest star beforehand is a helpful way to be further pulled into the show.  Only if the prospective viewer wants to watch more episodes after fully watching the ones featuring the people they know would I advise watching more.

                On the matter of the visuals, "The Muppet Show" is one that appeals to everyone.  No one really outgrows puppets.  They only wish to appear that they have in response to others stating likewise for that same reason.  There is something magical about the Muppets, something more than simple amusement.  A puppet can display a whole spectrum of emotion and can sometimes do it better than an actor can.  Not always, but sometimes.  Look at Robin, Kermit's nephew.  He is a small frog, yet he is able to convey comedy, sadness, tragedy, joy, and innocence.  All of this is possible from minute actions and mannerisms compounded with emotionally delivered dialog.  But what is the factor that separates the ability of puppets from that of live action actors?  The best guess I can give is that a puppet is a pure emotion.  It has to wholeheartedly display a single emotion.  A puppet can display an emotion subtly, through those minute mannerisms I mention, but it usually has to express that emotion loudly to compensate for the static face.  Look at Gonzo the Great.  In the early episodes, he had both of his eyelids rather low which made him look rather depressed or asleep.  Later on, the puppet was given a moving mechanism that allowed the puppeteer to change how low those eyelids could go which helped to add a wider range of emotion.  This change was made because even with the overly enthusiastic nature of the character, the eyelids were holding back that expression.  That static face prevented emotion from escaping and the puppeteer had to compensate by making the character much more animated.  Emotion had to pour out purely so that it could get across to the audience.

                Overall, i like "The Muppet Show", but I would not watch it in its entirety again.  It is a good show that I wish more people were aware of and would show on TV, but it should not be consumed by the truckload.  It took too much time to get through and is a major time sink that I sometimes found myself wanting to stop watching.  This is the second entity in the Backlog that took a solid two weeks to get through.  The first was "Eyeshield 21."  Both I might one day go back to watch again, but not in the same manner.  I would skip the filler episodes in "Eyeshield 21" in the same way I would only watch my favorite episodes from "The Muppet Show."  Trying to get through all the episodes and watching them all for the sake of watching them all will rot your head.  So, be happy I am here, Internet, to make that dumb choice for you and report back my findings.  Let us hope my head does not rot too soon.
You thought I was going to end on a high note?

Yours in digital,
BeepBoop

P.S. Next is "Flandersui Gae" AKA "Barking Dogs Never Bite" (2000).

No comments:

Post a Comment