Thursday, September 5, 2013

Entry 114: "Valkyria Chronicles" Pt. 1






Dear Internet

                Here is to better games than the last one, Internet.  Then again, I should not count my chickens before they hatch.  I did that with "Splinter Cell" and I regret doing so.  I hyped myself up more than the game actually did so.  Maybe I have not learned my lesson and will continue to get overly excited when being presented with something new because I have the hope that it will be enjoyable, only to have my hopes dashed upon the low poly-count rocks.  At least it is better than the polar alternative where I am a jaded individual with no expectations so high that only unreality can meet.  In the mean time, I have "Valkyria Chronicles" before me.  

                With my game reviews, I would have said that I usually have had shorter games being showcased here on the Backlog.  Going over the entries, I realized that I blacked out "Revelations: Persona" from my memory.  "Valkyria Chronicles" is going to be a longer game than the three day average that seems to have been created.  With that in mind, I will try and break things up in a different manner.  I am going to try and break up the entries into specific topics about the game.  This might not work out considering that I am making these posts as I go along and will be lacking in the full understanding about each specific aspect until the end.  For example, I will have to break up talking about the story into two parts.  Unless I wait until the last entry to discuss the story in fullness, I have to talk first about the premise and then the story as a whole to be able to talk about nearly everything else.  If I waited until the end to begin touching upon the story, I would have to refer to the whole cast using alphanumeric coding like "Guy 1B" and "Girl G9."  There are just that many characters in this game already.  Granted, a majority of them are minor characters that only play small roles, but even the game tries to give each one a tiny back-story and some depth.  There is a reason for that, but I will touch upon that later.  For now, let me try and give a premise.

                "Valkyria Chronicles" is set in a fictional alternative world.  In this fictitious world, which seems oddly familiar, there exists a mineral resource that is vital to the everyday life.  Ragnite mined from the ground is used in everything from medical practices to heal to being a source of energy to power tanks.  Two major states of power have risen in the world.  There is the East Europan Imperial Alliance and the Atlantic Federation.  As both of these political entities grow to a greater and greater power due to the importance of Ragnite, the supply of the mineral becomes more and more scarce.  Eventually, the EEIA declares war on the AF which leads to the Second Europa War.  As the two groups begin their fight, EEIA invades Gallia, a neutral country that belongs to neither coalition.  Enter our two protagonists.

I feel like making a "Star Wars" joke since we are supposed to be fighting "The Empire," but I will try to resist.
                Welkin is the son of the late General Gunther, a hero of the last Europa War.  He returns to his hometown, after having been at university, when news of invasion by the EEIA is imminent to help his sister, Isara, evacuate.  He stops just out of town to sketch some fish migrating upstream to spawn.  Welkin is spotted by Alicia, a town guard who believes Welkin could be an enemy spy collecting information.  When Isara clears Welkin's name, the siblings return to their home to prepare for the evacuation.  Not too long later, Alicia brings some bread for Wilkins in a way to apologizing for her mistake.  The two go out for a walk, during which the EEIA attack the small village.  Welkin is then thrust into the Second Europa War.  From there, he will enter into his country's military due to the mandatory service in effect and lead a squad of soldiers to defend their motherland.
Alicia and Wilkins.

                That is the basic premise for the game.  Throw in a few other characters like Cpt. Varrot, the seasoned veteran, Irene Ellet, the radio journalist, or Martha Lipponen, Welkin and Isara's nurse, and you start to get a fuller world.  Beyond that are a collection of troops that dot the ranks of Squad 7, Welkin's team.  They do not make much on an impact in the story, but the game is nice enough to present a little bit of information on each and every one.  You can learn the age and rank of every single individual that is under your command as well as where they came from and what they were doing before the war.  This makes each character come alive in the imagination of the player.  Before you realize it, you are keeping the 12 year old military prodigy in the back of the battle, you are making sure none of your comrades-in-arms are shot down, and you reset to the last save file in case anyone dies because there is no way you can replace that character.  Or you disregard the mini-bios and just throw your troops to the slaughter.  There might be a limited amount of stock characters to pull from before the game just tells you that you need to stop getting your troops killed, but I do not want to try it.  Those small bios are enough to make me care.  Even having only run two missions and a few scrambles, I have grown to like them.  That might also be because of how the game treats the inter-personal relationships of the troops to make a gameplay mechanic out of it, but I will save that for when I am trying to talk about how the gameplay works.
Even the baby gets a bio.

                The story, so far, is doing a good job in pulling me into the game's world.  You probably can already tell that the setting is pseudo-Europe with emphasis on the WWII era.  I will try and get to that when I start to talk about the game's aesthetics.  The story can be a little hammy at times, especially when the characters talk.  The voice acting is a little frigid at times, but it is only bad when the actors are in the cinematics and have to make the words fit the lips.  I can think of much worse games that have worse voice-overs.  I do not want to make it seem all that bad.  The battle dialog is done much better than the other segments if that means anything to you.  It should considering that you hear the battle voices much more than you do those in the cinematics.  To add to that, the game does one thing well enough.  After viewing any cinematic, you can re-watch it again when you want to.  Most games only give you one chance to see these and lock you out unless you play the whole game again.  So, this is a plus that is created due to how the game handles the story and higher menu like a book being read.  Select the chapter and episode and you can go back and revisit past events.

                I will stop here with the story for today and pick up tomorrow with the gameplay, Internet.

Yours in digital,
BeepBoop

No comments:

Post a Comment