Monday, September 16, 2013

Entry 121: "Valkyria Chronicles" Pt. 8 End



Dear Internet

                I finally finished "Valkyria Chronicles" today.  Just an hour ago by the time I type this sentence.  I am sure you can guess my impression of the game having read the previous entries.  Then again, you may just be impatient and have already scrolled to the end to see my general score instead of reading the review first.  I cannot stop you, but I am still going to write the review.

                "Valkyria Chronicles" is a rare gem among games.  It has everything going for it.  It has a pleasing art style, a simple yet complex battle system, a fantastic musical backing, and a moving story.  The most important aspect would be the gameplay.  I say this because the game does not hold the player's hand nor push them off a cliff.  I lost a lot in this game.  I cannot even remember how many times that I had to restart a battle because I failed or realized I was heading into a dead end.  Every time that I restarted, I never once felt like the game was acting unfairly or in a way against the rules of engagement.  I never felt cheated because the game decided to change the rules mid-battle without fair reason.  I failed because I acted foolishly, forgot the game's rules, or attempted a risk with only a low chance of success.  The game is one where the player actually has to get better at the gameplay instead of just grinding away, hoping to win by brute force.  Tactics are required to advance properly.  And sometimes those tactics is how to properly use brute force.

                "Valkyria Chronicles" might have problems with its story, but that only stems from the slightly awkward English voice acting.  Often I found the speech sound bits being stretched out.  This might have been a technical solution where they stretch the sound clips out to fit the amount of time that the original lip movement was done for the Japanese audio.  The result either way is less than pristine line delivery from most of the cast.  While the acting never got horrible enough to make me want to rip my ears off, the occasional bad line made me at least want to clean out my ears lest some earwax was preventing the emotion from the line being stopped.  Sadly, my ears were clean and the emotion was never there.  It is not something that I want to strike against the game considering that words themselves usually convey enough of the character's thoughts and intentions.  Take for example Maximilian's repeated use of the royal plural pronoun usage when referring to himself.  It conveys his arrogance and royal up-brining much better than the actor's ability to portray the character.  While the character is supposed to be aloof and have a stonewall personality, when it comes to his presence in the story, Maximilian's actions and manner of speaking does a better job of conveying the character.  Most of the characters are like this, and the game places the importance on those aspects rather than the voice acting, which is a good thing.

                The story overall does its job well.  The WWII/fantasy aesthetics do a good job of creating a unique setting.  Instead of trying to focus on the entirety of the EWII, the game smartly focuses on a single squad with only half a dozen characters being showcased.  The love story between Welkin and Alicia was handled with a maturity that I do not see often in other games.  Instead of ending on a cliffhanger as to whether or not the two get together, there is a very real ending to their relationship, and there is even a climactic event that defines their relationship.  The various other spotlight characters from Squad 7 are well enough developed to make them less like cardboard soldiers and more fleshed out characters.  Even the antagonists have some depth to them instead of becoming Saturday morning cartoon villains.  The story got me to empathize with them.  At the same time, it remembered not to overshadow the reasons that the heroes were fighting for by stressing the antagonist's reasons too much.  The story was never about EWII.  It was only a backdrop to the tiny narrative the game gives.  The game was not shy from this fact and had stated this much within the opening segments, so it should not have been a surprise.

                I should mention the music for a bit.  The game makes full use of an orchestrated soundtrack.  The opening sequence that plays before the title screen appears has a beautifully arranged song.  What struck me about that sequence is that it plays independently of the visual hodgepodge that is stitched together.  Most opening sequences would play some sort of music that is synchronized with the events being displayed.  Instead, the game plays a soft melody while past paced action occurs.  The effect highlights the music even more because of the juxtaposition.  Elsewhere in the game, the music is much more in context, playing melodies that align with the scene's or event's theme.

                Overall, I enjoyed the game immensely.  "Valkyria Chronicles" will be a highlight of my collection that I would recommend to others.  I will have to try and watch the animated adaptation that was created or read the comic that stemmed from it.  I wish I could have played the game outside of the Backlog and have devoted more time to it, but I am ready to go onto the next card.  


Yours in digital,
BeepBoop

P.S Next is the film "The Monster X Strikes Back/Attack the G8 Summit".

No comments:

Post a Comment