Friday, September 13, 2013

Entry 120: "Valkyria Chronicles" Pt. 7



Dear Internet,

                Well, I did not finish "Valkyria Chronicles" today.  And I will tell you why.  Paritally because I am trying to weasel out of having not done what I said I was going to do, but also because it leads into something that I should touch upon concerning the game.  That reason is side-quests. 
                While I knew that I was only three or so chapters away from finishing, which means fighting about five battles, I did not know how many side-quests there were available.  Before I knew it, I had an extra three side missions that were available.  Side-mission examines a specific character and elaborates upon their growth within the greater narrative.  They are completely optional and have no large weight to the main story.   However, the game uses these side-missions in a way that add a greater depth to each character that it centers on.  But I am getting ahead of myself.  I should mention how the game separates the side-missions from the main storyline.

                Instead of making the side-missions available as the story progresses, they have to be bought from the news reporter Irene Ellet.  This works within the context of how the game is told.  Considering that the game is told through the use of a book, having the side-quests as purchasable and insert-able "reports" makes sense.  The player can choose to purchase the reports if they want to play them.  This can cut into the funds for a better upgrade early in the game.  The player always has the opportunity to do skirmish battles for extra money to buy the reports, so the decision is not an either/or situation.  The player does not have to choose if character exposition or battle benefits are more vital.  Later on in the game, the amount of money that missions hand out well exceeds any early financial problems.  So, it really is a moot point later on.  In fact, I have more money than I know what to do with.  After purchasing, the side-missions handle like main plot missions.  The can only be played once and non-essential team-members can die permanently.

                From a story-telling standing, the reports are a nice add-on.  They act as both sidestepping narratives and as adding information to more minor elements of the main story.  Take for example the Cpt. Varrot report.  It tells more about Varrot's past and why she had stayed on with the military after the first Europa War.  The game gives a hint to this in another side-story where Largo mentions the name Frederic.  Varrot requests that Largo refrain from mentioning that name.  The player can reason that Frederic was somebody close to the two of them that most likely died in EWI.  The player can take this as it is and be content with an ambiguous character since there is enough information to be able to draw enough of a conclusion to read between the lines.  The Varrot side-mission elaborates upon Frederic's death by telling how he died and relating it to the current situation.

                Or you could take the Signs of Awakening report.  It is not in any way essential to the main storyline, but it does give big hints as to one climatic plot reveal.  I did not get the chance to play it until after the big reveal, so I was not spoiled too much concerning that event.  I am not sure exactly when the report was available for purchase.  This could mean that it was only available to buy after the big event occurs.  The report occurs much earlier, so when I played it, I was going back in time to witness events that had already occurred.  This non-linear storytelling works well here.  Since each mission chapter and side-mission is a self contained event, they are already broken up for the player.  Inserting a side-mission between the main missions can be done since there is already an implied amount of time between chapters.  Side missions can fill in those gaps.

                Then there is the obvious numerical advantage of these side-missions.  They make more money than what the player puts into them provided that the player does well.  The side-missions deal out extra EXP and cash in the same way that other missions do.  I already covered mission grading yesterday, so I will try to be brief.  The more missions that the player has access to, the more they will have to gain EXP and money.  Some of the missions can be relatively easy for getting an A rank, and the rewards can become disproportional to the difficulty of the mission.  I think of the Hostage Rescue Operation, or the Varrot report, when I say this.  The mission brief tells you to sneak as close as you can to a building without being detected.  If the turn ends and any of your soldiers can be seen, the mission is a failure.  With this in mind, I merely followed instructions and only moved while hiding in tall grass.  After letting the enemy do a patrol and allowing them to expose themselves, I went on the attack.  I wiped them out and got an easy A for the mission.  Afterwards I got more EXP and money than I think was proportional to the mission.  It was less than what I would get for an A rank main mission, but I will take the easy road if possible.  The EXP at least helped me upgrade my troops a few levels.

Easy-peasy.
                Side-quests are a great way to add depth to a game's narrative and give extra content that would detract from the main story if it was shoehorned into making the player go through it as necessary content.  "Valkyria Chronicles" makes sure that the side-missions do to detract but add content by remembering that they are non-essential.  Unlike games that wish to showcase the side content by forcing the player to sample each one before continuing the game, "Valkyria Chronicles" remembers to make side-missions add to the game rather than be a distraction or an alternative to the core gameplay.  What is the point of playing a game's side-quests if it is radically different than the core gameplay?  One should just go play a different game at that point.

                Hopefully, I only have got one more day for "Valkyria Chronicles."  I do not have anything against the game nor am finding it to be boring at this point.  I say this because just when you think that the game is going to be over, more content starts to pour out.

Yours in digital
BeepBoop

No comments:

Post a Comment