Thursday, September 12, 2013

Entry 119: "Valkyria Chronicles" Pt. 6



Dear Internet,

                Have I run out of things to talk about concerning "Valkyria Chronicles"?  It sure feels that way.  Should I just end my reviews in this format and go back to daily talks about how I liked the day's playtime?  I would rather not, considering that by doing this game's review in a slightly different way I have been able to examine specific aspects of the game much better than how I normally can.  I am almost done with the game and I suspect that I will be able to finish it off by tomorrow if I am lucky.  With that being said, I should talk about the one thing that I cannot speak on because of a lack of authority.  That thing is the game's replayability.  I cannot really talk about how well the game plays a second time since I have not finished the first go.  To add to that, I probably will not play this game again anytime soon.  This has less to do with the game itself and more to do with the fact that I have too much in the Backlog to return to anything a second time without an outside prompt.

                "Valkyria Chronicles" does at least one thing in particular to add incentive to multiple play- throughs.  I do not mean the game's "New Game +" feature.  I am not even sure what gets carried over since all I know about it is that it exists.  What makes the game replayable is the mission grade.  The game assigns a mission grade going from A to D depending on only one circumstance.  The number of turns that the player took to finish the mission is all that determines the grade.  The game also deals out extra EXP and cash depending on that score to give some incentive to playing the first time.  The amount of turns that the game allows for an A ranked mission often requires a different plan than the safe and cautious playstyle that the game pushes.  It requires the player to push the soldiers to head straight into danger instead of waiting behind sandbags for backup.  Take the first and second repeatable skirmish of the game for examples.  Both skirmishes can be completed in a single turn to ear the A rank.  The first one can be done with only using a sniper and a single scout twice.  The third skirmish can be done in two turns if you push scouts deep into enemy territory.  However, the main story missions cannot be done over and over.  The player can go through them, learn all the secrets, and then start over to try and get the A rank, or he can try and get through the mission as best as he can the first time around.

                The information that the player accumulates by playing the game is something that adds to a second play-through.  The techniques and strategies are something immaterial that the player can call upon again in a second play-through to attempt to get the best outcomes.  There are even events that occur in the mission that can be capitalized only by knowing what is going to happen.  This can best be illustrated in the second Naggiar battle.  Mid-way in the battle, the player is ambushed by two heavy tanks that appear at the outer edges of the map when a certain event occurs.  This event only happens with a prompt by the player.  With prior knowledge of the ambush, the player can position troops behind where the tanks appear or at least close enough to expose their weak spot.  Only by knowing this and placing troops accordingly can the player gain an A rank for that mission.  Otherwise, the player will have to face the onslaught as best as they can.

                This leads into one thing that I wish the game had done.  Prior to deployment, the player is shown a general map as to the battle ahead.  The map shows where the player can deploy troops and where the enemy is gathered.  Beyond that, not much as to the nature of the battlefield is given beyond the brief descriptions that are gathered by what the cast discusses.  This might seem like a sufficient amount of information to begin the battle, but I found that this was often not enough.  I look at the first Naggiar battle specifically when I say this.  After deciding where I wanted all my troops to begin the battle and starting the battle, I was surprised to see a sniper's tower placed right next to one of the starting positions.  I had decided to make use of a sniper for that battle, but I had placed him on the other side of the map.  There was no way that I could have known a sniper's nest was available so close.  After realizing that I was practically being given a free head start, I loaded up my save, and restarted the battle with the sniper placed correctly.  The result was much better and the battle went much smoother with just a single change.

                It is not as if the game decides to throw curve balls constantly in an effort to plague the player with restarts.  Even when it decides to switch things up it gives the player ample ability to overcome the obstacle.  The mission rankings are not what determines if the player has succeeded.  That is what the mission objectives are for.  The rankings are there to spur on the player by granting proportional rewards to do better.  This adds replayability that is determined by the player's desire to repeat the game rather than the game's problems causing everything to be played twice due to last minute twists.



Yours in digital,
BeepBoop

No comments:

Post a Comment